Monday, April 07, 2008

Forgetful Me

They did not remember his power and how he rescued them from their enemies. They did not remember his miraculous signs in Egypt, his wonders on the plain of Zoan. (Psalm 78:42-43)

Silly Israelites. After all that God had done for them--protecting them during the ten plagues that wreaked havoc on Egypt, delivering them from their lives of slavery in Egypt, parting the Red Sea so that they could cross on dry land, providing for them so well during their forty years in the wilderness that even their sandals didn't wear out, bringing them manna and quail every day, destroying their enemies, handing over the Promised Land to them--after all of that, the Israelites still had bouts of amnesia. They still forgot all the miracles and wonders and rescues made by God on their behalf. No wonder He got frustrated with them.

It's easy for me to read the stories of the Israelites and laugh in pity at their short memories. Then I am reminded of how quickly I forget what God has done for me. Even though God has brought me through trials in the past, when I approach a new one, my own short-term memory starts to kick in. Instead of relying on God's track record and trusting that He'll come through for me yet again, I find myself worrying and fretting over this new circumstance.

I imagine it must sadden and frustrate God to see us worrying over such things when He has proven Himself to be faithful time and time again. How thankful I am that He is gracious to forgive us when we doubt Him and question whether or not He'll meet our needs this time around. How thankful I am that He knows our shortcomings and sees that we are as dumb as sheep and need a faithful, wise Shepherd to guide us. And how thankful I am for the way that He uses Scripture, stories from other believers, and other ways of reminding me of His faithfulness in the past, the present, and the days yet to come.

No comments: