Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Dollars and Sense on the Web

The older I get, the more interest I have in personal finance. I'm by no means a financial expert, but I realize that financial stewardship is an important part of my faith. The more money I have, the more I can give back to God and use to help others. (I wish I could say that I always keep this thought in mind when I'm patrolling the aisles at Target, but more often than not I end up buying for myself first.)

As I am trying to improve in this area of stewardship and giving, I've found several websites that offer practical (and fun) advice and tips. While some of these sites are geared toward SAHMs (Stay at Home Moms), they do contain some ideas that any of us can use. Regardless of personal income, I seriously doubt that anyone is not interested in making their paychecks stretch further and being better stewards of the money and possessions that God bestows on us.

Some of my favorite money-saving sites:
-The Grocery Cart Challenge: This stay at home mom shares her tips for spending $50 a week to feed a family of six. Considering that I've had weeks where I've spent $50 at the grocery store just to feed me, this site is helping me re-think my approach to grocery shopping. On Fridays she hosts a recipe swap for bloggers to post their favorite inexpensive recipes.

-Rocks in My Dryer: My favorite feature of this site is "Works for Me Wednesday", where fellow bloggers are invited to share their own tips for making life easier, many of which involve money-saving ideas. You'll find some unique, helpful and entertaining ideas.

-The Simple Dollar: Written by a young man who made many financial mistakes and turned his finances around, the site offers simple ways to save money and build financial stability.

2 comments:

Tara said...

The top two blogs are two that I also enjoy a good bit. You may also check out sencetosave.com and moneysavingmom.com. These all offer very practical advice and tips.

Saving seems to have become a favorite past time for me lately. I've always been pretty frugal, but when you really stop and examine what we can save it's amazing where we can cut back without even noticing too much. I've started trying to see how much I can get for free or really cheap(from CVS or Walgreens). Then I can donate these for our mission teams to take or to woman's shelters, etc.

Lisa said...

Tara, thanks for the websites! The other day I stumbled across another one, http://getrichslowly.org/blog/, that has some good advice as well.