Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Anticipation

I am amazed at the speed with which my dog can consume treats. Just today I was giving her some treats, and made the mistake of letting her see that I had more than one to give her. In her anticipation of getting multiple treats, she swallowed the first one whole. Luckily it was a small one, although it's still a wonder that she hasn't choked yet.

My dog was so eager to get her paws on that second treat that she completely missed out on the taste of the first. Of course, I felt God tapping me on the shoulder as if to say, "See? Runs in the family, doesn't it?"

I hate to admit it, but I often do the same thing. God desires to give me good things--treats--and yet I am so eager to get all I can that I miss out on enjoying them one at a time. There's no telling how many opportunities I've missed to "taste and see that the Lord is good".

Perhaps when I'm going through times that seem to be treat-less, God is teaching me to enjoy the good things He's already given me. Truthfully, I am blessed infinitely more than I deserve. Sometimes I need a reminder to stop and enjoy rather than anticipate the next good things to come along.

1 comment:

Amanda G. said...

I tagged you. See my blog.

Amen and Amen to your post. I am the same way. Living in the future more than the present.

Happy New Year!