Monday, August 17, 2009

Productivity

Today was a demanding day at work, as I was helping with a lot of last-minute preparations for a training class that begins tomorrow. Afterward I stayed to do a workout DVD with some co-workers, and by the time I got home I was exhausted physically and mentally.

Every fiber of my being wanted to crash on the couch and veg out, but since I’m taking a few days off from watching TV, I crashed in my office chair in front of my computer instead. I caught up with friends on email and Facebook, read some of my favorite blogs, browsed books on Amazon (I sense another purchase is imminent), caught up on the day’s news, and checked the weather forecast for the week.

My main motive in taking a break from TV this week was to tackle certain items on my to-do list. However, tonight I just don’t have the physical or mental stamina to deal with those projects without risking falling asleep at my desk. I’m not even sure I could get through more than handful of verses in my Bible without dozing off tonight. And I’ve decided that that’s okay.

It’s so easy to measure productivity by how many items I get to scratch off my to-do list. A productive life isn’t just about getting things done. It’s also about taking care of myself—getting enough rest, eating well, nourishing my mind and soul, fostering relationships that encourage and challenge and enrich me. Restorative rest doesn’t keep me from being productive; it is essential to me becoming more productive.

So tonight I’m going to hold off on doing laundry and updating my budget. Instead, I’m going to cut myself some slack and hit the hay early. Right now it’s probably the most productive thing I could do.

No comments: