Monday, August 17, 2009

Time's A-Wastin'

My to-do list continues to expand, not only in chores that I need to do around the house and yard, but also things that I want to do. Lately, however, I've spent more time watching TV than tackling those items on the list, and this has got to end.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some TV, and that is the problem. More often than not I use television as background noise while I'm doing other things--including writing blog posts. But it's amazing how many hours can slip by while I'm endlessly flipping channels. I'm the world's worst channel surfer and have a tendency to watch a minimum of two shows at once; just last night I kept switching between "We Are Marshall", "House Hunters," and "Food Network Challenge" (fashion cakes, if you must know).

Every once in a while I feel God tugging me away from the TV so that I can focus on other things, and this is one of those times. This week I want to keep the TV off and use those precious hours that He's given me to work on a few things, namely writing, catching up with friends, Bible study, reading, and other activities that don't just entertain me but really feed my soul. Lately my heart has been on a junk food diet, so to speak, and I need to take some time to get back to some good healthy food.

So for those of you who know me, feel free to ask me about my fast from TV this week, and hold me accountable. Just don't tell me what happens this week on "Top Chef" or "The Real Housewives of Atlanta"--I'll wait and catch up when they re-air...

Update: Okay, I confess--my TV fast only lasted about a day. Last night when I got home from another brain and body-taxing day, I gave in to the temptation to veg out in front of the television and watch another "Food Network Challenge" while I ate my dinner. The good news is that after the show was over, I turned off the TV and did some productive things, including reading. So that's definitely progress. Cutting back on the amount of TV I watch is my ultimate goal, and so far, so good.

No comments: