Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Book Review: Beyond Opinion



My latest book review is of Beyond Opinion: Living the Faith We Defend. The book is a compilation of essays on a variety of topics regarding Christian apologetics, written by well known apologist Ravi Zacharias and other members of the Ravi Zacharias International Ministries team.

The essays in the book address many of the challenges that the Bible and Christianity face today, ranging from atheism to science to Islam, Hinduism and other cultural challenges. One of my favorite essays dealt with challenges from today's youth culture. Having attended a Christian college, I did not have to face so many of the challenges to the Christian faith that many students attending secular universities run up against both in and out of the classroom. However, I know many others who have, and I think that this particular essay is a valuable resource for students as well as parents, youth/college ministers, and other leaders.

The book also discusses the roles of evil and suffering, doubt and persecution, and other challenging topics. I'll admit that this was not exactly an easy read; I was drawn to certain essays more than others. Overall, however, I found the book to be quite helpful in giving me a better idea of some of the challenges that the Christian faith faces today and how to better address those challenges.

No comments: