Friday, September 10, 2010

Book Review: Outlive Your Life

My latest review for Booksneeze is Max Lucado's Outlive Your Life. The book is a challenge for Christians to respond to the plea to make a difference in a broken, impoverished world.

As with most of the other Lucado books I've read, I found this one to be an easy read with plenty of stories and anecdotes. While not as complex as other books I've read dealing with the subjects of poverty and famine, the book still challenged me to let God use me to make a difference for Him. One of Lucado's main points in the book is that we don't have be rich or famous or powerful in order to be used by God. He uses ordinary folk such as ourselves to change the world and meet the needs of the poor and needy.

The book includes a study guide at the back with discussion questions for each chapter and ideas for how to put what you've read into action. This would probably make a good small group Bible study.

I actually preferred Richard Stearns' The Hole in Our Gospel to Outlive Your Life, as I found it to be a bit more hard-hitting and challenging to my world views. However, if you're a Lucado fan you'll most likely enjoy this latest offering, and perhaps will find yourself challenged as well to make a difference.


2 comments:

That Girl said...

I agree with your review. Although I expected it to be fluff, I found myself impacted by quite a few statements that hit home for me. I enjoyed the book but sometimes, I feel that I'm reading the same stuff over and over.

Lisa said...

Terri, have you read The Hole in Our Gospel? It's more challenging (in my opinion) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of Lucado's work but his die-hard fans will probably still like this one.