Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Results

A couple of weeks ago we began an in-office Weight Watchers program. We first tried the program a few years ago and had great success with it. However, the last couple of years we have slacked off on our weight loss and the pounds have crept back on. With the holidays firmly behind us, we figured that January would be the best time to restart our Weight Watchers program.

For the past couple of weeks I've upped my amount of workout time while scaling down the calories. I've diligently kept track of my Weight Watchers points. I've done pretty much everything I'm supposed to do.

Last week we had our first weigh-in since the program began. How much did I lose, you ask?

.2 pounds. That's not TWO pounds--that's ZERO POINT TWO pounds. Not even half a pound. A certain hamburger at McDonald's weighs more than I lost.

Needless to say, I was a bit discouraged. I'd eaten well. I'd exercised more. I'd kept track of my points. And all I had to show for it was a lousy 0.2 pounds?

I did remember that the night before weigh-in I'd eaten a frozen entree that, while low in fat and calories, typically has a high sodium content. So I suspect that some water retention from too much salt the night before was to blame for not losing more, at least in part.

At any rate, over the past week I've had to remind myself that results aren't always reflected on the scale. Even though I didn't have a big pound loss to show, I have been able to tell a difference in muscle tone and in how my clothes fit. I'm building endurance and strength. My heart and lungs are probably a bit healthier than they were a couple of weeks ago.

So I'm trying not to be so focused on what the scale says and instead focus on keeping with the program. I know there will be weeks where I may not lose much (or any) or may even (Heaven forbid) gain a bit. I've been good this week but it may not show on the scale right away. I have to remember that if I keep on keeping on, eventually I'll be able to see some greater results.

Today I've been thinking of Paul's words in Galatians 6:9: Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

That's an important reminder I need not just in trying to stick to my diet and exercise regimen, but for life in general. There are going to be times in life where I'm doing all the right things but not seeing results. A harvest WILL come in due time. I need to just keep on keeping on.

No comments: