Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Book Review: The Liturgical Year


My latest Booksneeze book review is of The Liturgical Year by Joan Chittister. The book explores the historical and spiritual significance of the various components to the liturgical calendar, beginning with Advent.

Although I grew up going to church, my particular denomination does not practice the various feasts and celebrations of the liturgical year (aside from Christmas and Easter), so a lot of the information in the book was new to me. The author does a good job of tying each celebration and event together and helped me see that the year is not composed of individual events, but rather they all revolve around Christ and are designed to help bring us closer to Him.

The Liturgical Year is one book in a seven-part series called The Ancient Practices, and it was the third book in this series that I've read so far. I'd have to say that of the three I've read, this one was my least favorite. I found the author's writing style a bit heavy-handed and had a hard time really getting into it; I'm not sure if that's because a lot of the material was new to me or if the other books were just easier to read.

While this was not my favorite book of the Ancient Practices series, I did learn a good deal about the liturgical calendar, and am challenged to be more proactive in practicing it throughout the year.

No comments: