Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Boot Camp Diaries, Day 11 (aka Take My Breath Away)

Last day at the Capitol for this boot camp session. While I still don't exactly share the same sentiment mentioned earlier by one of my fellow campers about Capitol days being her favorite workout days, I have grown to appreciate having a change of scenery, even if I know up front that this change will involve a lot of stair climbing.

Once again we used a 5 lb. weight ball through much of our workout. Once again I found myself huffing and puffing through the majority of it, although I like to think that I'm huffing and puffing less than I was when boot camp first began. I have yet to actually count those steps at the Capitol; perhaps one day I'll remember.

We ran all the way down Dexter Avenue, around the fountain at Court Square, and back uphill to the Capitol. Well, most people ran--I alternated between running and walking. My fellow slowpokes did not show up for boot camp today so I was the slowest one by far, and everyone else was back to running steps by the time I hoofed it back to the Capitol. (Maybe there's an upside to coming in last--missing out on some exercises!)

I have to admit that I was tempted to throw a little pity party for myself; I really am tired of coming in last. But Margaret was a great encourager and told me that she was proud of me for finishing strong. And you know what? I'm proud of myself too. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that there will always be a big bunch of people faster and stronger than me, but I'm trying to remind myself that I'm doing my best and that I AM getting faster and stronger. Maybe one day my body will be as lean and mean as my mind wants it to be. For now I'm going to focus on how far I've come in this first round of boot camp.

And by the way, doing boot camp two days in a row was pretty brutal. Like I said in my last post, I don't think I'm ready to up my sessions to five days a week just yet.

No comments: