Friday, May 20, 2011

The Boot Camp Diaries, Day 12 (aka Last Day)

Final day of boot camp! To kick things off, we had post-camp evaluations with Margaret yesterday so that she could measure us and see how our weight, inches, body fat, etc. compare to where we started. Although I didn't lose weight, I did gain some muscle and lost a couple of inches. My body fat percentage also dropped by a few points, and my lean muscle increased. All in all, a decent improvement from where I'd been four weeks earlier.

After a quick warm-up, we completed our follow-up fitness test, which consisted of running a mile and doing as many sit-ups and push-ups as we could in a minute. I was a little disappointed that I had pretty much the same time on my mile and number of sit-ups from the first week of camp, but I was much improved on my push-ups. I've obviously got a lot to work on, particularly when it comes to cardio endurance.

We then completed several one-minute exercises, including walking lunges and some weight exercises. We finished up with some yoga, and then wrapped up a few minutes early so that Margaret could take everyone to Starbucks. Talk about a great way to wrap up our session!

I've been seriously considering signing up for another round of boot camp when it resumes in a couple of weeks, and before I left Starbucks I told Margaret that I'd decided to do it. (And believe it or not, I would have re-upped even without Starbucks!) I've been reluctant to shell out another couple of hundred bucks for a month of workouts, but this morning I realized that I wasn't just spending money--I was investing in my health.

Boot camp has helped me be more disciplined with exercising consistently, as I've been exercising at home on my "off" days. It's also helped me be a bit more disciplined when it comes to my eating habits, although I still give in to my sweet tooth far too often.

All in all, boot camp has been a fantastic experience, and I'm so thankful that I've done it. If it's something you've ever thought of but were afraid to try, let me wholeheartedly encourage you to do it. I'm reaping not only physical results but also some increased inner confidence as well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next round of camp goes. Stay tuned--the boot camp diaries sequel may be coming!

No comments: