Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Start Packing--We're Going on a Guilt Trip!

Last week I was out of town Wednesday-Saturday for work. Although I didn't have time to work out while I was gone, I was pretty careful about what I ate and was really proud of myself for not gaining weight while out of town.

Then I came home--and suddenly, my motivation to cut back on what I ate and to exercise more went out the window. I went to boot camp yesterday morning as usual (I go Monday-Wednesday-Friday), and fully intended to get up this morning and go for a run as I typically do on my non-boot camp days. However, this morning I just couldn't muster the desire to pry myself out from under the warm, cozy comforter and get out into the cold pre-dawn air.

No problem, I thought, I'll be diligent about what I eat for lunch and I'll work out tonight after work to make up for my morning laziness. I had a lunch meeting to attend, and planned to avoid the dessert table and eat fruit salad instead. Lo and behold, the country club that every OTHER time serves fruit salad did not have any on the buffet table today! Instead of foregoing dessert altogether, as I should have done, I got a piece of spice cake with yummy cream cheese frosting instead. And I ate every bite.

None of my co-workers were able to stick around for a workout, so I drove home with the idea of taking my dog for a walk to at least get SOME exercise in for the day. But by the time I got home, it was a little bit later than I'd planned, daylight fading fast, and the air getting a bit chilly. And so instead of going for a walk, here I sit at the computer.

I had every intention of being good today--and now I'm putting myself on a major guilt trip for not taking advantage of the multiple opportunities to do so. The commitment to healthy living is an every day--sometimes every hour--battle, often an uphill one. I see small accomplishments--a faster running time, eating fewer sweets than I used to--but it's all too easy to focus on what I've yet to do--like give up sweets for good, for instance. It's hard not to beat myself up over it.

I just have to forget what is in the past and focus on what lies ahead. I may have messed up during the day, but I can eat a healthy dinner. I can do a brief workout while I watch TV tonight. I don't have to stay in this unhealthy rut that's ruled over most of my day. I don't have to be a slave to unhealthy habits. I WILL do better--starting now.

Anyone want to help me unpack?

No comments: