Saturday, September 29, 2012

Joy Stealer



I've had the above quote running through my head a lot lately. I don't know about you, but I struggle with comparing myself to other people. Sometimes it's something big, like feeling like a loser because seemingly everyone else my age is married with 2.4 kids. Other times it's something relatively minor, like not being a runner as some of my fellow boot campers.

At any rate, comparing myself to others is a surefire way to have my joy stolen. The problem is that I view myself through my own flawed eyes rather than seeing myself as God sees me. When the voice of comparison echoes in my head I need to drown it out with some reminders about what God thinks of me:

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (I John 3:1a)

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)
    


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)


The Lord your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)



Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (II Corinthians 5:17)


Do you struggle with comparison? How do you pull yourself out of that trap?


2 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, yes, yes. Have seen this same quote and wrestle with that comparison demon myself.

This also made me think of another thief I struggle with: fear. Jason Gray has a neat song out that says, "There's no thief like fear." The lyrics are quite telling. You can see them at http://www.rabbitroom.com/2011/09/track-3-no-thief-like-fear/.

tamblair said...

Yikes... comparison is an ugly tool satan uses in all of us. I compare myself to others spiritually. Like, if I hadn't made this bad choice or that poor decision, I would be so much better off. If I had made all the right choices like "so and so" then my life would be better. I guess what I am trying to say is that no matter what our circumstances, we are in a constant state of comparison. Until we, as Christians, realize that we are all the same in His eyes, we will struggle with comparing ourselves to one another.