Sunday, December 16, 2012

Overwhelmed

I like to think of myself as an optimistic, glass-half-full kind of person, but the last few weeks have been a real struggle for me. Since Thanksgiving I've had to deal with a lingering case of bronchitis accompanied by laryngitis, my car has been hit not once but twice (thankfully both drivers have insurance), and I've learned that there was a mix-up with last year's tax return that I've got to deal with straightening out.

In the grand scheme of things these incidents are minor annoyances and inconveniences, especially when I compare myself to others who have to deal with issues that are far, far tougher than mine. Just reading the news--particularly in light of Friday's horrific news from Connecticut--tends to snap me out of my woe-is-me pity party.

Still, it's easy for me to feel overwhelmed when I've got a lot of these inconveniences to face.  On top of that, the holidays are a challenge for a single woman who thought for sure that she'd be married with 2.5 kids by now. When so many activities are centered around families and especially children, Christmas can be painful at times. It's hard to not feel alone this time of year.

That's why I was encouraged to find one of my favorite verses in my morning devotional today:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)


I need that reminder that, even though it may feel like I'm alone, I'm really not. This is probably a verse that I need to read every day throughout the holidays.

How about you? What verses comfort and encourage you when you're feeling overwhelmed, alone or afraid?


No comments: