Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Four Letter Words

A few weeks ago I felt God impress a couple of four letter words on my heart to keep in mind for the new year.

Those words were BOLD and OPEN.

I am to be BOLD in my seeking Him, BOLD in my prayers to Him, BOLD in my dreaming for the year ahead. While I feel like I'm not typically shy about praying boldly for other people, I have become rather shy in praying for myself lately. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it's because I feel like my problems/worries/desires are insignificant compared to the rest of the world. Or maybe it's because in times past when I've prayed and haven't gotten the answers I wanted I felt let down and don't want to risk disappointment again. But at any rate, my prayers for myself have been rather tepid lately, and that needs to change.

I am also to be OPEN to new opportunities, experiences and relationships. So many times I choose to stick to my comfort zone and miss out on new things. I am often afraid to take risks. And that has kept me in a boring, lifeless rut. Being open will require sacrifice of my time, maybe even my pride, because sometimes trying something new ends in failure. But sometimes trying something new also ends in victory--that I must remember.

To go along with these words, God has also given me a couple of verses to meditate on:

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:3

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will go with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

I look forward to sharing with you over the coming year the ways that God is leading me to be bold and open in response to Him, and the new things that He brings into my life.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Those are awesome words to start the year with.....anxious to hear of your progress!!