Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Now On My Nightstand {Plus a Blog Shout Out}



I am so grateful to come from a family of avid readers. I learned to read at an early age and quickly developed a love of books. When we were kids my dad had to travel frequently for work and would often bring us souvenirs in the forms of books. We were regular customers at the public library. I had a built-in floor-to-ceiling bookcase in my bedroom that was stuffed to overflowing with Laura Ingalls Wilder, Judy Blume, Encyclopedia Brown, the Anne of Green Gables series, you name it.

That love of reading continues today, and I now routinely find myself reading several books at the same time. I usually have at least one book that I'm reading for spiritual/Scriptural inspiration, one for pure fun (not that spiritual books can't be fun, too!), and a book or two for review for various publishers. Here's what's currently on my nightstand for my reading pleasure:

For Spiritual Inspiration: Every Body Matters by Gary Thomas. I first read this book in January of last year (read my rave of it here) and feel compelled to read it again. It was so convicting and yet so encouraging when I first read it, and I may make it an annual read for kicking off the new year with a renewed commitment to honoring God by taking care of this body that He's given me.

For Fun: Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible by Tim Gunn & Ada Calhoun and How to Look Expensive by Andrea Pomerantz Lustig. The Fashion Bible is a history of fashion and how it's evolved through the centuries, with some practical advice for today's wardrobe thrown in. I love history and I love fashion and I especially love Tim Gunn, so it's a fantastic combination in a book for me. How to Look Expensive is written by a longtime magazine beauty editor who shares insider tips and tricks for looking like a million bucks without spending a fortune.

For Review: 20,000 Days and Counting by Robert D. Smith. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it so far; you'll have to wait for my review when I finish!


Have you read any good books lately that you'd recommend? What are you currently reading?


Let me give a quick shout-out to my sister, Carrie, who is blogging again, yay! She is an awesome writer and is kind enough to read and comment on my blog so that I feel like I'm not just talking to thin air. Check out her blog, Talking in Space. I promise I won't be mad if you like her writing better than mine.


1 comment:

Carrie from Talking In Space said...

Thanks for the shout out! I just finished Stacy London's The Truth About Style and really enjoyed it. She shared a lot of personal stories mixed in with style advice.