Sunday, May 19, 2013

Encouragement in Your Wait

I don't know about you, but the ability to wait graciously and patiently is not really my forte. Having to stand in the checkout line for longer than two minutes wears on me, so it's no surprise that some of the bigger waits in my life have been, at times, a real struggle. 

That's why I'm so thankful for verses in Scripture like these that offer encouragement and hope to those who wait:

Wait patiently for the Lord.    
Be brave and courageous.    
Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. (Psalm 27:14)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)


 but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;they shall mount up with wings like eagles;they shall run and not be weary;they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)


Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (James 1:2-4)


"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)


I have clung to these verses and many others time and time again throughout my life. I've also been frequently drawn to books, blogs, sermons and articles focusing on the often prickly and painful subject of waiting. Last fall I happened across the blog, Heirs with Christ. It turns out that the author, Rachel, used to live right here in Montgomery (she and her family recently moved to the Mobile area) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it turns out that we have friends in common.

When I discovered her blog she was in the middle of a month-long series on waiting. I found the series to be incredibly encouraging and thought-provoking, so much so that this past month I started re-reading the series each morning. She tackles the subject of waiting in such a powerful, Spirit-led way that is simultaneously humbling and uplifting. If, like me, you find yourself struggling with waiting, I highly encourage you to check out her series. 

No comments: