Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Some Things That Make Me Happy (and Some Not So Much)

I don't know about you, but this week is d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g for me. I kept thinking today was Thursday--guess what? It's not. And it's not for lack of work to do that time is dragging for me; I'm still trying to get everything together for our latest magazine issue at work, plus deal with other projects that keep coming my way.

The week has given me some blah moments, unfortunately. The other day a co-worker informed me that I'd done something incorrectly on a project I'd worked on for them. As it turned out, I was in the right and my co-worker was mistaken about what they thought I'd done. But instead of graciously pointing out that I'd done it correctly after all, I was obnoxious and pretty much rubbed it in their face that they were wrong. On the drive home I felt the Holy Spirit tap-tap-tapping me on my shoulder and gently but firmly letting me know that I needed to apologize for acting like a brat. The next day I had a chance to apologize and all is forgiven. My co-worker did say that they wondered what was up with me since I'm usually not that rude, so I guess the silver lining is that I don't act like a total brat all the time.

Another blah thing (this one NOT self-inflicted) has been dealing with some sinus congestion the last couple of days. I'll spare you the less than pleasant details, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take out some stock in Puffs at the rate I'm going through tissues. I tend to get some sort of sinus crud about once a year, although usually not til winter or early spring, and it often results in my losing my voice, which, considering my rudeness from earlier in the week, would probably not be such a bad thing right now. Other than this (typically once a year) crud, I am rarely ever sick so when I DO feel under the weather I'm reminded to be thankful for my normally stellar health, which I realize so many people do not enjoy.

Now moving on to some things making me happy this week. This past weekend I spent some time rearranging my bedroom closet. I live in a house built in 1960 and the closets are pretty tiny, but even so I have managed to cram an embarrassing amount of clothes into it (thank you, thin black velvet hangers). After setting aside several items that I no longer wear (which my sister and oldest niece, who is now old enough to wear my clothes, too--sob!--will no doubt appreciate), I reorganized everything by color, from black to white. Here are the before and after shots:


Now when I open my closet it looks like a big beautiful crayon box (sadly, the picture doesn't do it justice). It is proving to make deciding what to wear and finding those items much easier. That definitely makes me happy.

Another happy thing this week was starting a new Bible study of Priscilla Shirer's book, Gideon. I've done a couple of other Priscilla Shirer studies before and they are outstanding. She is an incredibly gifted, Spirit-filled and Spirit-led speaker and teacher. After this first night of the study I knew without a doubt that this was exactly the study I need at this season in my life. I'm attending the Bible study at a different church and looking forward to making some new friends in it, in addition to discovering what God's going to reveal through this study.

One more happy thing to report--my 21-day detox is going quite well and so far I've really not been tempted to eat chocolate or desserts or anything sweet besides fruit (which I can have). My weight is coming back down and I've been diligent in keeping up with my food journal (which certainly helps me keep the weight down). I'm not sure that I'll ever fully get rid of my sweet tooth--nor am I sure I want to--but it's good to know that I can still find the strength to be disciplined after going through a time of being very undisciplined about what I eat.

Hopefully by the end of the week, my "happy" things will far outweigh the "not so happy" ones. How about you--any highs and/or lows to share?

No comments: