Monday, January 24, 2011

Weekend Guilt

I started my weekend with a nice lengthy to-do list in my head. I had the best of intentions.

And yet here it is, Monday morning, and I'm embarrassed to admit that most of my to-do list is left undone. I didn't balance my checkbook like I intended. I didn't write the book review or send an email to an old friend like I meant to do. And while I did a good job of eating well and keeping track of my points, I did not exercise. Unless you count power shopping at Target as exercise. (Do you?)

Instead, I spent a good deal of time lounging on the couch, catching up on my magazine reading and indulging in too many episodes of "The Real Housewives". I had ample opportunity to get more done but I was lazy instead.

It is so easy for me to beat myself up over the things that I should have done. Not just from this past weekend, but from weeks and months and even years long past. And if I stay mired down in guilt from not following through on my plans, I can stay bogged down in a place of guilt and paralysis indefinitely.

I'm thankful that God's mercies are new every morning, and I can have a fresh start. Instead of continuing to beat myself up over what might have been accomplished, I'm going to remember that this is a new day, with new opportunities to make good on the promises to myself. Weekend guilt, be gone. It's a new day.

No comments: