Friday, April 29, 2011

The Boot Camp Diaries, Day 3 (aka Hitting the Mat)

We were back at the park on Friday, with a guest instructor, Heather, this time. She had us run for about five minutes to warm up, then told us to all go to the tennis courts. Much to my surprise, she told us that Margaret had told her that we'd had a tough week of workouts and needed something a little less strenuous, so she wanted Heather to lead us through yoga for the hour.

I've never taken a yoga class, but I've done some yoga moves in some DVDs, mainly as warm-ups/cool-downs for workouts. I was surprised at how challenging some of the moves were. I'm pretty flexible naturally, but it was still hard to hold some moves for extended periods of time. Heather told us there's a reason they refer to yoga as a "practice"--it takes a while to get the hang of all the moves. Thankfully we didn't have to do any headstands or anything that challenging.

By the end of the class, I felt like I'd had a good workout, but wasn't sweating up a storm like the previous classes. It was a nice way to end the first week of camp, but I know Monday's coming and I'll be back to dripping with sweat as usual.

By the way, remember how on day one I decided to up my frequency to three sessions a week? On the drive home today I started thinking about--can you believe it?--actually going five days a week. Yes, I have lost my mind. I may wait til the last two weeks of camp to go five days a week; I don't want to shock my poor body any more than I have just yet!

1 comment:

Margie Walters said...

way to go!!! i will have to live vicariously through you until October, then it is ON.