Monday, April 23, 2012

And if Our God Is for Us

There are times when I hear a certain song or read a certain verse and I just know I'm meant to hear or read it at that particular time. Yesterday, for example, I was listening to Pandora while getting ready for church, and one of my all-time favorite worship songs came on: "Our God Is Greater" by Chris Tomlin. Wouldn't you know that when I got to church yesterday morning, that was one of the songs we sang? I had the joy of hearing (and singing) it twice yesterday, which is always a sign to me that I needed to hear and sing it.

I particularly like the words in the bridge of the song:

And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us?
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?



I think these words speak to me because sometimes I need to be reminded that I'm not fighting all alone. That God has my back. That I've got the power of the Holy Spirit residing in me, giving me strength to stand firm against temptation, to make the right decisions, to deny myself, to go against the grain. As I mentioned in my previous blog posts, making healthy choices (and sticking to them) has been a pretty big struggle lately. 


Fast forward to tonight. I was on my blog and happened to check out my site meter. (Something, I might add, that I rarely do.) I like to see where my blog visitors are from, so when I noticed that one visitor was from Nashville (where I went to college and one of my favorite cities in the world), I decided to click on the URL that showed which page they visited and how they got there. Turns out they had Googled a particular passage of Scripture which I had posted on my blog way back in March 2005


(Wanna take a guess as to what the passage was? Oh, this is good!)


"If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since God did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won't God, who gave us Christ, also give us everything else?" Romans 8:31b-32


When I read this tonight, I just laughed. If I'd had any doubt before today that God was speaking to me through these words, then seeing this tonight erased it altogether. How sweet to know that God is making especially sure that I remember that He is on my side, and that nothing can stand against us and His plans for me!

No comments: