Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Back in the Swing of Things

It has not been easy to get back to a good post-holiday fitness routine. As I rather expected would happen, I indulged my tendency toward laziness during the holidays and got off track with working out on a regular basis. We took a three-week break from boot camp, and although I fully intended to run at least three or four days a week at minimum, I think I probably actually ran a total of three times during the break. Not good.

I kicked off the year with doing the Resolution Run 5K on the first Saturday in January. It is billed as the toughest 5K in town, and it certainly lives up to its name, as most of the course is uphill (including that brutal hill leading up to the finish line). I did finish, but my time was terrible. I ended up walking way more of it than I'd hoped. I have no one to blame but myself--my slacking off on running in the weeks leading up to the race really punished me. Still, I AM proud that (a) I did the race despite it being a freezing cold day and despite having been such a slacker and (b) I finished the race upright and (c) that I didn't come in dead last.

Slow as a turtle at this race, but at least I did it!


The good news is that boot camp has resumed this week and I'm planning to run on my non-camp days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) so I know I'll do better with a regular routine. I've also resumed using My Fitness Pal on a daily basis since January 1 to track my food intake. So I'm slowly but surely getting back into a good health and fitness routine.

How about you? Did the holidays do you in like they did me and are you getting back into the swing of things or still struggling with a routine?

No comments: