Friday, January 10, 2014

Week in Review

Why, hello 2014! I'm just ten days late in getting out my first post of the year. I was waiting until I was inspired to write something incredibly moving and profound that would go viral on the internet and be picked up by multiple outlets and ultimately land me a writing gig with HuffPo or CNN. Spoiler alert: this is not going to be that post.

Instead, I'm sharing a few tidbits from the past week. With this being my first full week back at work since before the holidays, I expected the last few days to d-r-a-g by, but the week has actually flown by for me. I survived the arctic blast from earlier in the week and am welcoming the somewhat warmer temps that we're expecting for today and this weekend, although not the rain that's due to accompany it.


The week got off to a grand start with the extremely welcome return of "Downton Abbey". (Don't worry, I won't comment on any of the plot lines in case you haven't seen it yet. Although if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for? Stop reading and go watch it immediately.) Reviews of the season premiere seemed mixed, but I loved it. It certainly had a bit more of somber tenor to it that most episodes, but Violet Crawley can always be counted on to deliver comedic relief even in the midst of grief.



To whet my appetite for "Downton", I finally--after many recommendations from my sister and others--began watching another British TV import, "Call the Midwife". I finished season 1 over the weekend and will most likely start (and perhaps finish) season 2 this weekend. I found it to be charming and quite entertaining, although I still like "Downton" a little better. The first two seasons are currently available for streaming on Netflix, so I highly recommend watching them if you can before season 3 premieres in March.

In other (non-TV-related) news, I got a new 'do this week with 3 inches cut off my hair. It's been a while since I've short-ish hair so it's a nice change. I also had my annual review at work, and to my delight it was nothing but positive. It's always nice to get some atta-girls from your bosses, and when they can't think of anything negative to say about me that's a good boost to my self-esteem. I'll try not to let it go to my head too much.

On tap for the weekend--hitting the library, dinner with a couple of friends, church and the usual weekend chores around the house. And of course, tuning in Sunday night for another episode of "Downton". Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments: